Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Put down that weapon and pick up the sticks

I've been neglecting my knitting recently... What with all the zine making and working full time and all that but now the winter is settling in, peak knitting season is about to begin!

Here’s some instructions for my latest creation that is not actually finished and therefore I can’t actually testify for this as an actual workable pattern but I’d rather you just took a little inspiration and just made it up for yourself anyway...

Hotrodlibrarians super hot knitted tool belt thingi

1. Find yourself a knitting teacher and or good book and give it a go.

2. CO about, I don’t know, 20 stitches or so... I’m gonna felt this coz I love felting and coz it covers up any little mistakes nicely... but remember that felting shrinks things by nearly ½ so make it a fair bit bigger than you actually want it to be.

3. Keep King or K1 P1 if you want (I’m just knitting coz I want a bit of texture after the felting but thats just me) until it wraps around your waist almost 2 times.

4. Im finishing off my belt bit in a point by K2tog at the start and finish of every second line but you finish it off however you want to...

5. I’m now getting onto King about 5 or 6 pockets of varing sizes that I’m then going to stictch onto the belt maybe before I felt it or maybe I’ll just felt them all at the same time and stitch them on later, I haven’t decided yet.

6. Im then gonna cut a button hole in my pointy bit (yet another good thing about felting is that you can cut it and it (theoretically) can handle it.)

7. Then Im gonna sew some funky buttons on so that its kind of opposite to a regular belt where you’d have one button and lots of holes. I’m gonna put a few buttons on to cover for fluctuating weight/period bloating/crappy sewing skills that will probably see the buttons put in the wrong spot.

8. Wear with pride to stash all your Knit graffiti parafinalia/Roller skating tools/weapons of mass distruction.

2 comments:

Hawm said...

If only I could knit. Unfortunately it is not one of my many skills. I'll just have to stick to baking. :)

Anonymous said...

i have no idea what youre talking about so i will stick to eating the baking of both you bakers xxMM
PS. when i see you next pls pls pls remind me to show u a knitting idea from the vestiges of my head.