Wednesday, September 19, 2012

You've come a long way baby...

This year has been weird.
There has been a lot of past stuff churned up for me. It's not just being back in the ol' home town, but being back at the ol' first uni, which has taken me back to thinking a lot about the person I was then and the person I was with then, who also happens to be back in town (see below) and who I have still have old issues with.

I happened to run into him the other day.
It was a good thing.
It was going to have to happen eventually.
I was looking hot.
He was looking old and pathetic.

Then this week I caught up with an old friend, D. My friendship with D is a strange one, but also a reminder of how your impressions of someone can change dramatically given the chance. It's also reminder of how far removed I am from the person I, and others, thought I was back then. We got talking about said previous individual with whom this person also has interesting history.
Suffice to say its all been very cathartic.
Headache inducing, but cathartic.

This person still haunts me.
Maybe he always will.
Maybe I need that as the reminder that I will never be that person ever again.
Maybe I needed that then to move me from the person I was then to the person I was to become.
Maybe I just need to get over it.
Maybe I need to forgive myself.
Maybe he's just a dickhead...

Tonight I went on a walk on my dinner break. I decided to go past some of my old haunts around the campus and revise a few memories. I had not so many memories as realisations of how long ago that was and how much has happened to me, not just in the 15 years since I was last here in my former life, but in the 6 or so months I've been back.

I needed that.
I felt like a grown up for the first time in a while.

No comments: