Thursday, April 17, 2014

Total Fan Girl Moment


Linda Jaivin has been one of my favourite authors since my ex-best friend told me about Rock and Roll Babes from Outer Space 15, 16, could it be 17? Years ago.
Last night Linda came to little old D’town.
I have theory in life that cheeky-ness gets you everywhere. People have been asking me how I organised it. I just asked her! I sent her some fan mail, told her if she wanted to we’d love to have an event with her and it grew from there! Very disappointed in the numbers, but considering all of the people who showed up had only heard of her through my ravings, and she won over everyone who was there and now has a bunch of new fans I’d call it a success. Yay!


Just thought I’d share my intro with you...
Hi my names Allison and I’m a librarian and I have a confession to make... I judge books by their covers. But it wasn’t a cover that brought me to Linda’s books, but the title. Over 15 years ago a friend told me about this book called “Rock and roll babes from outer space” well how could I go past that. The next one I read was called “Confessions of an S & M virgin”. It just kept getting better!
I’m having a little fan girl moment tonight because Linda is one of my favourite authors, she’s got a new novel out call “The empress lover” which we’ve got for sale here tonight. But if you are far to clever and academic for fiction, Linda was also the writer of the last Quarterly Essay, “Found in translation” which I found to be a great accompanying piece to this novel.
She’s a lady with many strings to her bow... and she’s got great hair! Please join me in welcoming Linda Jaivin.

No comments: