Friday, January 8, 2010

X...Y...zzzzzzzzzzzz

Ive never really known where I fitted into the world, I seem to be stuck in the middle of everything from my star sign (right on the cusp of Cancer and Leo) to my generation, born right at the ‘crossover’ point of Generations X and Y. I always thought I was Gen X, 'the first generation not to be looking forward to having things better than their parents'. I came of age in the doom and gloom economic times of the early 90’s, where if you didn’t go to uni you would never get a job, and if you took some time off uni you’ll never go back. So I went, but never really knew where it was going to get me and spent my twenties wandering around aimlessly with a string of jobs that I certainly didn’t need my uni degree to get. I subsequently spent most my twenties feeling guilty. Now, apparently it’s an acceptable Gen Y trait to spend your twenties wandering the world and moving in and out of home.

And what of the generation gap? In XYZ: the new rules of generational warfare, Michael Grose tells me the generation gap has widened but my mum and I always felt that it had reduced from her own experience due to the shared “teenage” experience, and most of all, the advent of Rock and Roll. That music joined the baby boomers to all that came after. But then again I had a bit of an unhealthy fascination with all things 50’s and 60’s when I was growing up so maybe its just me!

So anyways, I still don’t know where I fit into the world but at least I don’t feel guilty about it anymore, oh and I finally went back to uni 10 years later when I finally figured out what I wanted to do and I actually have a job that I need my degree for. And if anyone asked my advice I would say to defiantly take time off between school and uni!!!

So now Mr Grose tells me there's generation Z, which includes all those 'tweenies' that marketers love so much. But that book is a few years old now and Douglas Copeland who started all this has bought out a book called Generation A...

No comments: