Sunday, May 16, 2010

My friend Bonnie does good radio...

The whole idea of body image is hard to ignore, even for the most sensible hippest chicks around. My friend Bonnie is a 'plus-size' model, 'plus-size'! For godsake, she's size 14, that's smaller than the average! Hear her on ABC 774 discussing body image the other day. (she doesn't get nearly enough of a say in though!)

The whole body image thing is a friggin' minefield! I also hate the term 'real-women', I have another friend who finds it incredibly difficult to put on weight, is she not 'real'?

I also have a theory, (this is completely based on my being a complete tightarse of course!) There are no size 8 women in the world!!! Go to any sale or clearance type place and thats all you'll find is size 8's, with less and less sizes as they go up. And oh, while I'm on the rant, hows about all the clothes that I like that don't come above a size 14... just because i've had a baby and am carrying a few extra's doesn't mean I don't still want to be all hip, cool and funky!

By the way I'm still trying to lose 16kg's of baby weight! But one thing I have found that helps me to feel a little better about that is finding myself some clothes that actually do fit me instead of trying to squeeze into the oldies!

So anyways, here's my philosophy; eat a wide variety of foods, don't deny yourself what you really want (because you'll just keep thinking about it until you binge on it!), drink lots of water and get out into the fresh air! Oh and don't read friggin fashion magazines!

1 comment:

wen said...

You're so right my friend!

Excersing helps too; dropped a few dress sizes now we moved back home, i cycle everywhere (or walk) it's so much easier. And i HATE the gym, soooo