Thursday, December 23, 2010

It was twenty years ago today...

That one of the most defining moments of my life happened.

I broke my Pelvis...

On a Flying Fox...

Two days before Christmas...

At my parents staff Christmas Party...

Talk about a pain in the arse... LITERALLY!

So here's what happened: My dad had built a flying fox, it was one that you sat in and for some reason, rather than the cage part being down the bottom of the run, someone had tied it to the top. So up the ladder I go, sit in the cage/seat thing, untie and I'm off... all I remember is looking back and seeing that the knot was going to get caught, next thing I'm on the ground. My friend went to get my mum and I was walked back up to the house. As I said, this was during my parents staff Christmas party so they took me upstairs to the bed until things settled down a bit. Everybody was relatively calm, including me! though we could tell that I had broken my arm there didn't really seem to be anything else majorly wrong, though i did have a bit of an ache in my hip. Even when I was taken into the hospital the doctor said " I can see that she's broken her arm but I think she's just bruised her hip or she would be in more pain, but I'd better X-ray it anyway." Turned out my Pelvis was broken in two places... kind of lucky she X-rayed it as an afterthought hey! So I had to spend 3 weeks in hospital, the first 10 days flat on my back not allowed to move. Not so great for a 15 year old, Christmas in hospital and my whole school holidays gone.

I had also organised to change schools at that time so I had to start a new school, on crutches, weird crutches too because of my broken arm and having no kind of plaster on my body I got many comments of "You don't need crutches for a broken arm you know..." and the like. That was a really hard time, it took me a good 6 months to find where I fitted in at that school and spent a lot of time on my own. Had my first kind of meltdown where I couldn't stop crying and had to call mum up by recess because I couldn't handle being there. 15 is a very fragile age and all of this did not make it easy to make friends and find where I fitted in, which I think was my motivator for changing schools in the first place, that searching for where I fitted. ( I don't think I ever actually found that until my twenties anyway! guess I was just in too much rush).

So I obviously have a high pain tolerance, I remember saying to mum when I found out about the Pelvis "I thought when you broke a bone you were automatically supposed to cry" as that had been my observation at school, even all the tough boys cried when they broke their arms! The doctor also said to mum when looking at my arm X-rays "she's broken this arm before, I can see a bend in the smaller bone (Ulna I think it is?) where its been broken before".. I don't ever remember breaking my arm!!! though its very possible, I was quite a climber!

I cant believe that was 20 years ago! I can remember a lot of it like yesterday! guess I'm getting old hey!


No comments: