Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sharpies...

Just finished Rage: a sharpies journal by Julie Mac, Twas alright, but you know me, would prefer it was written as a memoir. I wonder why she decided to fictionalise her teen years? (she says that all the names and people are the same), maybe so she's got an escape clause or coz of all the illegal stuff they did! It's worth a read though if you've got a soft spot for the odd counter culture and always wanted to be part of a gang but never got the chance... The diary style kind of works too because although it can get to be a little tedious at times, well so can being a teenager and this book captures that mood nicely. I'm hoping I can get her to come speak at the library!!

P.S. Love the back cover quote; "it was a time when fighting, spewing, pashing, rooting, dodging the cops and stooging the ticket inspectors were all in a nights work..."



And while we're on the subject... or if you think I'm talking about texta's, enjoy this 1974 short film by Greg McAinish (Skyhooks.)



And here's another one from 2003 which I saw at ACMI a while back called Suburban Warriors by Rebecca McLean.

The Blackburn South Sharpes even have their own website... does anyone want to buy me one of their T shirts or Conny's for Christmas???

3 comments:

Julie Mac said...

Hey HotRodLibrarian, thanks for that grouse review! (now I have been sprung googling myself!)

I think I am now addicted to your blog.
xx

HotRodLibrarian said...

Hey Jewels, Thanks for bringing the sharpies back to the forfront! I'm hoping yo will be coming to speak at HBL soon? I need to get a fire under Bernies arse to make it happen!!

Stef said...

Great review! Your spot on about the fictionalisation though - a publisher request at the 11th hour - so name changes for those Julie couldn't find for release forms.