Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sis...

I’ve been a little slack of late with my unsolicited book review type posts of late; I’ve been reading a lot, but nothing that has really blown me away.

Red Couch Book Club is currently reading Jodi Picoult’s My Sisters Keeper. She’s not the sort of author I would normally pick up; in fact I would probably put her into the category of “Popular faff”. I do have a friend who raves about her though so I was happy to give her a go. I have to say this one is defiantly pulling at the heart strings. The chapters alternate the voices of the characters, all in the present except Sara (the mum’s) which is giving us the background info. Its Sara’s chapters I am finding hard to read, especially the first one, where her two year old daughter is diagnosed with leukaemia.

I have a two year old daughter.

I guess I am also a bit sensitive at the moment, I am around the point in my pregnancy where I lost the last baby, and I am very aware of every movement, or lack thereof. I know on an intellectual level that there was no found reason for the loss of the last one and therefore no indication that it is likely to happen again, but unfortunately these things don’t work on an intellectual level.

So my apologies if I seem a little snappy, or disappear off for a while...

Anyways, back to the book. I am just over half way through and at first I was very sympathetic with the Anna Character and hated Sara, but as it goes along I’m beginning to understand Sara a lot more. I guess it’s that old “Both sides of the story” thing! I’m still finding Sara’s chapters hard to read and I had a bit of a cry over it last night (oh my god, I’m actually admitting to that!!!!) and I know what’s going to happen, but I’m determined to finish it... perhaps a good cry will do me good, just have to make sure I read it when no one’s around!
P.S. (a couple of days after writing this post) I just finished this book and certainly didn't see that one coming! I should have, looking back it should have been predictable. Had a good cry anyway!!!!

1 comment:

wen said...

i had the same feelings & doubts when pregnant with the little one; eventhough you know it's going all well, your mind works in weird ways.... The midife made sure i could pop into the hospital for a quick look & check at any time and i'm still really gratefull for that since that helped a lot. But had those feelings althrough the pregnancy. It's totally normal after what happened with the previous one (that according to my midwife at that time)

ps. i'm reading the new Carlos Ruiz Zafon: the Angel's game. it's good again, although i loved the other one more since that was about a secret book society...