Thursday, November 6, 2008

Last week I read...

I have got a bit slack on keeping up with my book posts... maybe it's a sign that I am reading too much, no it's a sign that I am wasting too much time on boring stuff like living and not enough time publishing posts on my blog!

The F word: how we learned to swear by feminism by Jane Caro and Catherine Fox. It was OK, nothing revolutionary or new, but if it gets one new Chicky babe reading about feminism than it has done it's job!

It's a mostly personal account of two women who have successfully juggled careers and families while trying to stay true to their feminist principle, something which is really hard I have to admit. I can't believe how the stereotypical gender roles play out once the little bundle of joy comes along! Jane and Catherine are very open with the fact that they are living middle class lives in a privileged time for women. The groundwork has been layed by the two previous waves of feminism, and women have got to keep this momentum flowing, creating a world, not just of equality, but of balance and choices too. There is also much discussion of the whole raunch culture thing that is going on at the moment, something I am divided on, one one side, I like that women are taking over control of highly sexualised images, and I have always wanted to take pole dancing classes. But I also hate the sexualisation of the tween set and think people like Paris Hilton are just completely useless, I mean what has she actually done? anyways, that's a discussion for later.

I also started Halloween: from Pagan festival to party night but decided to abandon that one half way through the first chapter, something I hardly ever do but it was too cold and academic and given the fact that I have 10 other books sitting beside my bed waiting to be read, thought it wasn't worth it!

I just started Why we buy: the science of shopping which i am finding very interesting coming from a retail background and having had much discussion of this type of environment around the library recently.

I have also been put onto the show LAink which I am loving... I want Kat Von D to do my next tattoo!

1 comment:

Shanksie said...

LA Ink is a great show, I cant believe some of the work they do, amazing. Almost tempts me to get one done, almost.