Monday, March 22, 2010

Mama Mia...

I love it when the readings catalogue arrives in my mail box at the start of every month, it always adds at least 10 books to my “books to check out” book. And that's where I read about Mama Mia by Mia Freedman.



I think I was attracted to the memoir from her history as a magazine editor. Magazines being a field I wanted to work in as a teenager, but growing up in country Victoria was a long way from the ACP offices in Sydney and I never quite made it there! But I found this memoir surprisingly engaging on so many other levels. There were many shared experiences I related to (the emotionally abusive Ex, losing a baby mid term etc.) But its also at times really really funny funny, especially the chapter where she describes the birth of her daughter Coco. She is also very down to earth and gives some very realistic insights into the joys and struggles of motherhood, I especially enjoyed the Smug and Crap lists in the last chapter, given that I had just added to the Smug list earlier that day (see last post) I just couldn't think of a name for it! (by the way, the home made Play Doh was crap and I'm NEVER making it again!)

No comments: