Thursday, February 24, 2011

W is for...

It's funny how certain people can come into your life when you need them most. It's no secret that I've been feeling a little lost of late and it gets you thinking about things that might have been important to you once upon a time that work, travel, kids and, well life gets in the way of you fully exploring. I have a deep interest in Witchcraft and Pagan beliefs and about 10 years ago I was studying and practicing, but then of course, said life gets in the way. Well my newest friend took me to a catch up with some witch friends of hers, and whether or not anything comes of it, it's brought me back to something that I am really passionate about, probably part of my re-claiming of myself back after having kids and all that.

I came to Wicca though Fiona Horne. It was when I read her first book, that I realised that much this was what I was already naturally doing. Noticing the moons cycles etc, and I had a type of alter for years. I finally found something that I connected with, I'd never felt that before with any type of religious practice.

I already liked her as a singer, and when I heard about a book she was writing on 'urban witchcraft' it spiked up my ears. I also remember when I finally found the book maybe two years later, I was having a bad day and a few things had gone wrong and I was a bit stressed out. I walked into a bookshop and there was Fiona, with snakes coming out of her hair, it was wonderful and immediately turned a bad day into a wonderful journey.

I'm not really sure how the Pagan community feels about Fiona, whether they think she is a fluffy Bunny, making light of the craft, and I have to admit, of recent years, its more of a reality TV and less writing so I can understand if she's not being taken so seriously! But I still love her, and I'm so tired of worrying about what other people think, I like her. I like that she does keeps things simple. I read about others spells and practices which are so complicated, you must have this phase of the moon, these particular tools, this whatever... Fiona talks about the will and intent being the most important, the tools are mealy that, tools. If your will is telling you to do the spell now, but the moon is not in the right phase, well what is more important!!! Your will, your symbolism, what speaks to you.

I also like that she is the antithesis of the old witchy stereotype. Anyways, here's a few photographs I took of her back in the olden days (you know... back in the late 90's!!)
The fist ones were taken of her conducting a spell at a book launch, the second performing at club solo just after Def FX broke up. I love the colour and movment in that shot.


Enjoy!


1 comment:

wen said...

hi you, i dug up my craft stuff too a few days ago and started having a go again with it. i did miss it
I do like fiona's books, she makes it sound less serious

havefun