Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Kites and Dogs...

Ive had a bit of a sub-continent theme about my weekend.

Last night I watched a dodgy pirated copy of Slumdog Millionaire, yeah sure it was OK but I think I listed to way too much hype about that one! I thought the Bollywood dancing at the end was just cheezy.

On the other hand, the Red Couch Book Group met on Saturday to discuss the book and film of The Kite Runner.

Here is one of those rare occasions when the film and the book really do compliment each other, both have something to give that the other just cant. The film of course has had to leave out some detail and does lack some of the background and descriptiveness that the book can provide. But the film is enhanced buy the use of the dari persian language and the colour and amazing visuals.

One this I think tipped the story over the edge into melodrama was the revelation of the two boys, Amir and Hassan being actual half-brothers. I felt that brought in the whole blood is thicker... debate and I think I would have found it more poignant if he had've done everything he did without that extra push, it would have felt like Amir was righting his wrongs and not just doing it out of some family pride thing. I didn't really find Amir much of a sympathetic character, I guess that was the point, its all about second chances and righting your wrongs and all that. But I thought Hassan was gorgeous and his loyalty was his downfall.

1 comment:

wen said...

may i suggest ' pirate bay' for all your movies and tv series; great to watch when YOU want to and not when they decide it's a good time (and put those bloody subtitles on bottom screen, which are by the way often wrong...). just my wee rand sorry, will stop now and go to bed with good book (light reading: mariam keyes' this charming man; very addictive never read one of hers before). will email again soon.... finally all well again