Sunday, March 8, 2009

A lovely couple of days...

I have had a lovely couple of days that have involved some of my favourite people...

Friday I spent a lovely day with Miss J and her little man, we went to Werribee zoo and hung out with the meerkats and lots of other good stuff. Miss J is going through a bit of a tough time with her little man, just the usual new mother major adjustment stuff but Miss J is very hard on herself. I hope I am helping her with my regular pep talks and Safeway chickens, but she seems to have this idea that I just breezed through motherhood making it look easy which makes me feel bad (and was certainly not the case... I have a lot of stories I could tell there, but they would make me look REALLY bad and probably have me committed!) I think the one emotion that new mothers are just not prepared for is Guilt. No matter what you do, some book, midwife or random stranger on the street is going to have an opinion on the matter! Poor Miss J, I hope she gets through this bad patch. The thing is no matter how much you read or have friends or whatever, I don't think anything really prepares you for how overwhelming everything about being a new parent is.

Yesterday I saw G for the first time in 2 1/2 years. G has been a big part of my life and one of my bestest Ladies for about 8 years. We travelled together and have always been a big support to each other. G lives overseas now with her French hubby (Oh la la!) and hadn't even met Little Miss until yesterday! She hasn't changed (I don't know why you think people will have!) and made me realise how I really really miss her! I hope I have the chance to see her again while she's in town.

I am reading the cutest little book at the moment called Pop goes the weasel which chases the history of Nursery Rhymes. For example did you know that Humpty Dumpty was actually a cannon used by the royalist forces during the English Civil War of 1642-1651? He only got turned into an egg by John Tenniel the illustrator of Alice in Wonderland!

1 comment:

wen said...

Hi, you're right we do feel guilty as mum's a lot and other women don't make it easier on us either. we should stick together instead of making eachother feel miserable.

did you hear that katwoman is moving back to edinburgh from her little island? that's a nice place to stay when we visit that lovely city, sometime.......
xxxx