Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Judy... and J-A

I finishes My Judy Garland life by Suzie Boyt last night. Its a strange book, the author describes it as "one part memoir, two parts hero-worship and three parts biography with a dash of sequin studded self help thrown in." And that pretty much sums it up, it's really a tribute to Fandom and that aspect of it got me thinking about how my friend J-A would love it, not necessarily the Judy Garland part, but that's doesn't matter.

Ive know J-A for about 8 or 9 years, and she would have to be the most passionate individual I know. We hit it off instantly and it was great to find someone who not only knew about these women I admires, but loved them too!

J-A has a love of little details, and there are a couple in this book she will love; the concept of having 'Judy-friends' (and her Judy-best friend Marc with whom she gets to spend an hour with when the Judy Garland museum is closed with full access to the displays because he had donated a lot of them, he also encourages her to steal a blue eyeshadow from Judy's make up case even though that's not one of the things he owns!). The other bit which was just gorgeous is when she's talking about being a good or a bad fan and she says "I am a good fan. Of course I am, but there is a little part of me that's bad" - written just like that with the "little part" bit written in little writing. It's just a gorgeous little touch.

I did enjoy the book but every now and then I felt it could have been a little better edited. I get the feeling I was reading it journal style even though it wasnt meant that way and it jumped around a little too much for my liking, but i'd still reccomend you give it a go!

No comments: