Monday, January 5, 2009

Teen angst...

I read this great book last week. Dear Diary by Lesley Arfin. It was lots of teen angst and drug taking, but it wasn't so much the context as the way it was constructed that I enjoyed. The book was composed of her diary entries from childhood onwards, with updates from now as well as interviews with some of the main people from her past that she managed to track down for this project. I like a memoir that moves away from the usual 'then I did this, then I did that'...
It got me thinking a lot about my own teenage years, which really for me consisted of a lot of frustration, I felt mature enough to do lots of stuff but really didn't have the freedom, money or opportunity to get up to much! I think my 'teen' rebellious phase occurred in my early twenties, well the stuff that teenagers in the movies and American TV shows got up to anyway! Well I enjoyed the book anyway, though I think its more aimed at people of my generation or a little younger looking back, rather than aimed at a teen audience.

No comments: