Thursday, January 8, 2009

What a novel idea...

I think I have been reading a few too many dark memoirs about drug addiction, mental illness, prostitution and the like recently. I think I was getting myself down with it and felt the need to read, what for it... a NOVEL!

I have been reading Peter Goldworthy's Everything I knew. Peter is the author of one of my favourite fiction books the hilarious Honk if you are Jesus (think Da Vinci code theories mixed with Dolly the sheep!) and the very touching and sad Jesus wants me for a sunbeam (not all of his books have Jesus in the title, just these two!).

Everything I knew is reminding me a little of another of my favourite ever books, Grahame Aiken's 50 ways of saying fabulous. I get the feeling both these books are maybe a little semi-autobiographical, written from the perspective of a young teenage boy. I'm about a two-thirds of the way through the book and I am enjoying it, I love Miss Peach, the Radical, tight pants wearing, Vespa riding new teacher in town who is the object of Robbie's affections. She is a lovely mix of intelligence and vulnerability. I also love her two gossipy lesbian housemates!!

Next on my list is Michael Witheford's Buzzed (just coz I liked the title!!)

No comments: