Thursday, January 15, 2009

R is for...

Roller Skating!



I had a dream the other night about joining a Roller Derby team, (turned out I was a natural!!!) and it inspired me to get my skates on... Literally. I'm a bit out of practice but I love it! My skates are about one size too small but I don't care!

My love of Roller Skating started when I was about 4 (I think) and my older brother got a pair of those skates that you can adjust and just strap onto your shoes. He was not overly interested in them or no good or whatever, I can't remember. I asked my Mum if I could have a go and she said "No, your too little" or something to that effect. I took them over to my Dad and he adjusted them for me ands the next thing my Mum saw, I was up and skating around!

I don't get a lot of chance for skating these days, and the Boy keeps threatening to throw them out but I wont let him.

Maybe I should tell the story of how I came to have this pair of skates... this will really embarrass my Mum! It involves the Summernats which Clarkie knows all about now! So we're at the car event which was being held at a complex in Canberra which also had a Roller Skating rink. It was during the super cruise and my Dad decided he was going to pull one of his stunts... He wanted to borrow a pair of Roller Skates and be pulled along behind the car by a rope, as if he was water skiing... in his undies... He's a strange man! (And he didn't realise it till we pointed it out to him later that his undies had holes in them!!). But the rink wouldn't let him borrow a pair to take off the premises so he just bought them! And lucky me who had the same size foot as my dad, once he'd had his fun, the skates were mine!

By the way... don't ever mention the words Roller Blading to me... I will not stand for such blasphemy!!

No comments: