Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Space... the final frontier...

I think what I am literally needing in my life is Virginia Woolfe's metaphorical Room of one's own... (or am I metaphorically craving the literal, not really sure anymore!)

I just don't get a lot of space anymore!

One of my happiest living spaces was my little flat overlooking Princess Park in North Carlton, it's the only time I've really lived on my own and I loved it!

Now I share a bedroom, I used to have the spare room where MY bed is to escape to when I needed a little space or couldn't sleep, now that Bubbaista's room (note to any overnight guests, your very welcome as long as you don't mind a roommate!), we have a study, which I thought I could have made mine is taken over by the boys ever expanding collection of hunting and camping equipment which cant possibly live in the shed! And anyone who has little kids will know that you cant even pop into the toilet for a little quiet time since little miss grew tall enough to reach the door handles!

And I no longer have nap times to look forward too either!

Maybe it's just this week because I've been sick and so going to bed super early I don't get that night time me time (and my pile of DVD's is growing too!).

I know that time flies and it wont be long till I'll be complaining and suffering from empty nest syndrome when my kids wont want to know me, but for now... maybe I'll have one more crack at cleaning the study up and maybe do a tape line down the middle... just half a room will do me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

totally understand. no kids here but house is a studio apartment and is literally one room only. this one room includes a "living area" (the couch), a "study" (man's pc desk)a "kitchen" (a cupboard in the wall with a sink under it and a fridge next to it) AND a bedroom (a queen size bed) everythings looks out onto everything else so really we live in a circle of mess and nobody can ever understand the emotional toll that takes on u. i, too, dream of a room of my own, one with 4 walls just for me, perhaps a window too but im not gonna be picky. as for sleep and the loss of it. i have a friend with 3 boys under 5. her birthday present from her husband was a hotel room for one night and one day. he stayed with the kids at home. maybe u should start dropping hints ;) xMM

Hawm said...

Sounds like you desperately need that trashy movie. Or to set up the tent for yourself in the back yeard. I am curious as to why the boy can't put his stuff in the shed. Perhaps you need to convert the shed into your own little cave?

wen said...

Why can't you share the study? we shoved all the camping stuff in the attic out of the way but still easy to reach. with space at a minimum you have to pack it and stack it well so you still ahve some space for you, especially when you really need it.
Hope you'll feel better soon my friend. I'd wish sometimes you were a bit closer so i could come over and give you a big hug and take you for a good chocolate cake with a coffee... well you get the idea
xxx