Wednesday, October 1, 2008

After too many cups of coffee, today's state of mind can only be described as 'In a flap'!

I recently read Judith Lucy's The Lucy family alphabet, an OK read, not fantastic but entertaining enough and I found many aspects of her life interesting. However the one thing I really loved about the book and that was it's construction. A is for Adoption, Bis for... well I can't remember what B was for but basically each letter became a heading for whatever story she was telling, it made for the book being quite disjointed but I liked the idea and thought it could become a great exersize in writing a memoir without being too overwhelming. I've always had this romantic idea of writing a book, not that I ever though my life was really interesting enough to warrant it, but well, why not!

So I thought I'd give it a go, not that I have yet decided what sort of style of writing this blog will follow, perhaps at this stage I will just consider it 'Eclectic'! This can just become one of many formats used until I , if ever, decide. Hey I'm queen of this blog and I can do whatever I want!!! Also, too predictable to start with A so I will start in the middle!

L is for Libraries...

Of course I used the library as a kid, but I rediscovered it as an adult when I had first moved to Melbourne. I was spending too much of my measly Cafe waitress wage on books, and with my gym being right across the road from the Brunswick library, I one day ventured in (all hot and sweaty and looking really attractive! But back to the story...) every single book on my most wanted list was in the catalogue, I was over the moon, (lucky too coz a few of those books turned out to be quite shite... luckily I hadn't got around to buying them!).

The day I decided to study to become a librarian was at the Sandringham library. I was sick of whatever menial retail job i was in at the time and dropped in a resume. The lady behind the desk handed it back with what can only be described as a look of utter superiority said "it's a four year degree to work in a library" oooohhh I'll show you nasty snooty beeatch!

The desire was satisfied for a couple of years working in what could only be described as a 'Book supermarket', I was happy to be surrounded by so much good stuff, but can pinpoint the exact moment I realised my dissatisfaction with the place, we had a new manager who was proud of the fact that he had only read one book (The BFG, he had got half way through the Twits and given up). Time to get my act together...

Looking into courses I found my long ago studied Arts degree was, finally, going to become useful. I undertook a one year Grad. Dip. and here I am, lots of adventures along the way but finally feel at least a little satisfied with where I am in life...

1 comment:

Wosemary said...

very interesting about what made you become a libariane