Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cups...

This week I have been reading...

Cups with no handles, a memoir of Bette Boyanton, Social Activist and interesting woman,
a country lady who with such a simple idea changed peoples lives. Bette grew up in an extremely poor family living through WW2 and the depression in Melbourne and fought against the odds to come through. She was one of the founders of the community house movement and a livelong anti-war activist.

Initially I was attracted to the blurb on the back, but this was really not representative of the story. The other thing that confused my was that I thought a Memoir was supposed to be autobiographical. Carolyn Landon wrote this book, but is using Bette's voice, which I found a little bit annoying at the start, but soon got over it.

The Cups with no handles refers to her poor childhood and always having to drink from broken cups.

I would recommend this book, it's good.

No comments: