Thursday, December 4, 2008

D*A*A*S

I bought the recently released Doug Anthony All Stars DVD for my brother for Christmas, and Ive just been checking it's all working OK. (I also like to do this with books I buy for gifts, just like to make sure there are no pages missing!)


Anyways...

I think I had forgotten how funny they are, some of it has dated but also some of it I didn't get when I was 15 and watching the Big Gig. Bit like watching the Young ones when I was 7, it was all about the visual comedy then, (I didn't get the intellect until much later!!!!)

Its also been bring back a lot of memories about my friend Lee, he was a massive DAAS fan, so much that they played their version of Throw your arms around me at his funeral.

Lee died from Cystic Fibrosis just before his 30th birthday. I was holding his hand when he died, he had been unconscious for over 12 hours, but about a minute before he died he moved his finger along my hand, like he was telling me he was still there.

I told him before he went to sleep the night before, when he knew he was going to die, to make sure he got in touch with me... typical man, he's never called!

Recent events in my life have got me thinking a lot about important people and events in my life, Ive been getting in touch with people I don't want to lose touch with... give me a call Kiersten!!!!

2 comments:

Shanksie said...

Their version of Throw your arms around me is beautiful, it's amazing they can actually stay serious for long enough to sing it. Love the DAAS.

HotRodLibrarian said...

Hey Shanksie, I have it on CD if you want... they also do a great "heard it through the grapvine" on the DVD.