Thursday, December 11, 2008

mmmmm del.icio.us....

Tonight I was learning all about the social bookmarking manager site thingi called del.icio.us.

Apparently this is a folksonomy. Now, at uni I had to do a whole assignment on Taxonomies and Folksonomies and all sorts of other 'onomies... tell you what... I still don't get it, but I am learning a lot more from joining the Webolution than I ever did in uni!!! I think that's because I learn by doing not by being told (which is why I ask a million silly questions even after training!!)

I made my own del.icio.us account and even saved some very important websites to it. I have tagged them with a "webolution" tag but no one else has yet so I hope someone does soon!

The whole tagging thing is similar to what I have done on my blog with the labels, making it easy to navigate your way around my blog (say you just want to see my webolution posts coz you don't care about all the other bits of my life!!!)

I can see where this could be very useful in the library particuly on the Ref desk, maybe to save some of the most used and trusted sites? Tomorrow morning I will attempt to use Technorati and see if my blog is part of the "Magic Middle"

No comments: